Take One Picture: A display of work by primary schools
inspired by the workshop of Andrea del Verrocchios's
'Tobias and the Angel'
Room G, 11 May–25 September 2011
Take One Picture is the National Gallery’s innovative
flagship programme for primary schools. Teachers and
pupils are invited to use a focus painting from the
Gallery’s collection as a creative catalyst for
learning across the curriculum. Hundreds of schools
have been inspired to create original work following
lines of enquiry related to this year’s painting,
and the Angel, painted in the workshop of Andrea
del Verrocchio (left/right; about 1470–80).
The painting is based on a story from the apocryphal
Book of Tobit. Tobias sets out on a long journey, from
Nineveh (in modern-day Iraq) to Media (in Iran), to
collect money owed to his blind father Tobit. He is
guided by the guardian angel Raphael, protector of the
young, travellers and the blind. When Tobias bathes
in the River Tigris, a giant fish leaps from the water.
Raphael encourages Tobias to remove the fish’s
gall bladder, liver and heart in order to heal his father’s
Verrocchio was a successful painter and sculptor during
his lifetime. Several well-known artists trained in
his workshop, including Leonardo da Vinci, who may be
responsible for some parts of the painting, including
the lively dog.
The work presented here demonstrates the diverse ways
in which schools have responded to 'Tobias and the Angel'.
Take One Picture is generously supported by The Dorset
Foundation and by The Tavalozza Foundation.
The schools represented in the 2011 display are:
Some of the following pages contain Flash animations.
If you're unable to view these animations click
here for help.
- Ashdell Preparatory School, Sheffield
- Barnett Wood Infant School, Surrey
- Bridge and Patrixbourne Church of England Primary
- Castle Hill Special School, Huddersfield
- Cawston Grange Primary School, Rugby
- Deansfield Primary School, London
- Dunmow St Mary’s Primary School, Essex
- Fairholme School, Middlesex
- Gawber Primary School, South Yorkshire
- Hawes Down Infant School, Kent
- Hilltop Infant School, Essex
- Lingey House Primary School, Gateshead
- Little Gaddesden Church of England Primary School,
- Milbourne Lodge School, Surrey
- Somerford Primary School, Dorset
- St Cuthbert’s Church of England Primary School,
- St Mark’s Church of England Primary School,
- Summerfield School, Milton Keynes
- Sunnyhill Primary School, London
- Velmead Junior School, Hampshire